Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Growth on Cedar - HELP



What is this? 
What is going on here?

It is huge on this cedar.

I will have the section removed and will bring it to my lab.


And by lab, I mean my office. And when I say office, I mean in the office for a day until it must be removed. I need to measure, but the tree is about 70cm in diameter so the growth is very big.

In this area I did see 2 or 3 more with much smaller similar growths.  How does this happen? what is this?

This is where the tree is  view map

Help me out.




3 comments:

  1. It is a fungal growth that occurs on many tree species around the world. Ususlly caused by a wound created on the tree. The fungus enters thru the bark at wound site during the growing season and continues to grow every growing season until it girdles the tree and the tree dies. probably caused by a branch that broke off during a heavy snow/ice event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's an interesting looking burl! Looks like the wilderness in Utah or something with all of those valleys. Nice texture.
    I've never seen this particular type of growth before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Possibly Crown Gall caused by Agrobacterium tumefacians? A.tumefacians is a soil-inhabiting bacterium with the broadest host range of any bacterial plant pathogen. Galls alone are not typically fatal to trees. And it seems, from this photo at least, that this growth already has spanned the diameter of the trunk. If it is crown gall. then it will not kill the tree but it will weaken it and slow it's growth rate significantly. Some galls can weaken a tree to the point taht a secondary pathogen can move in for the kill however.

    ReplyDelete