Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Spider Man Slug in the Boreal Forest

Standing, looking at my compass, sighting my direction, I notice a little speck out of the corner of my eye.

Swinging in the wind is a slug. Slowly lowering itself from a tree branch. I have never seen this before. I did not know a slug could web it's way to the ground.

While I watched for 10 minutes the slug descended more then 25cm. It was maybe 1 meter from the ground when it let go it's line and landed on the forest floor. The branch the critter had come from was 3 meters in the air.

What was that slug doing up that high? Climbing down would be a slow process.

I searched the internet but could not find a good resource to link to about slugs. some looked close to this one but not really.

If you know what it is let us know!

1 comment:

  1. that is a banana slug i think they do that becuase if they tried crawling down and its sunny they would dry out and die so they do this to get off a high branch much quicker

    ReplyDelete