Monday, May 18, 2009

Great Horny Toads

Not a great horny toad, but it is the first toad of spring. this little guy was just sitting in the grass beside a small pond beside Gillies lake.
I think the little creature must have just crawled out of it's winter hiding place. It just sat there. the dog gave it a little push with his nose , but no response. I gave it a little push just to see if it would move forward, but it was only interested in absorbing the little bit of  warmth from the sun that was beaming between the clouds. I think it will have to sit for a couple more days until some warmer weather. enature a great site for making identifications of creatures tells me there are 2 types of american toad, but does not discuss the difference. I wonder what it is?

While I took pictures of the toad Roll'n had his head stuck in a hole on the side of the pond. I am sure a muskrat must live there. He likes to play with muskrats. When I was ready to leave he had worked his way into the burrow so that his entire head was not to be seen.

His white face was blackened with poop and mud, he smelled so bad!

We got home and into the bath he went. He hates baths, he hates water for that matter. He will not swim and walks around puddles on the road.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark, well, ain't he a find looking fellow. Where do you give Rollin' his bath? I guess it's a little early in Timmins for the froggy mating season. It sure is nice to hear all the frogs singing around the lake in the summer. Makes me want to pack up our camping gear and head to the country. Keep those pictures coming, love to keep up to date on your whereabouts. Love ya...........the folks

    ReplyDelete